Programme Manager (Water, Sanitation and Hygiene)
- Job Type: Full Time
- Qualification: MBA/MSc/MA
- Experience: 5 years
- Location: Borno
- Job Field: NGO/Non-Profit
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade P3
Type of Appointment: Special short-term graded, six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible.
- North-East Nigeria has witnessed an increase in violence since the beginning of 2015, causing a major humanitarian crisis. As a consequence, almost 2 million individuals are currently displaced, with the highest number of displacements taking place in Borno, Yobe, Gombe and Adamawa States. Many of those are living in overpopulated IDP sites and host communities, and are in desperate need of Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) services and facilities. In light of the emerging crisis, the scale of IOM’s WASH response in Nigeria has been growing over the last year and have reached almost 30,000 individuals in almost all accessible areas in Borno state, in addition to some areas in Adamawa.
- To ensure the efficient delivery of WASH activities and good management of the program, IOM Nigeria Country Office (CO) is aiming to recruit an experienced WASH Programme Manager to be deployed to Maiduguri as soon as possible.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission and the direct supervision of the Head of Sub-Office/Emergency Coordinator, the Programme Manager (WASH) will perform the following duties:
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Design and ensure the execution of the overall WASH strategy for IOM in the country in close coordination with the WASH Sector working group, relevant Government counterparts, affected communities and other relevant humanitarian stakeholders.
- Manage the overall implementation of the WASH program activities in north-eastern Nigeria to guarantee that the scope, budget, time and quality are in accordance with the different projects specifications, donor requirements and IOM rules and regulations.
- In coordination with the Chief of Mission, Head of Sub-Office/Emergency Coordinator and other relevant units in the CO, develop a resource mobilization strategy for the WASH program. Proactively identify program development opportunities, new funding sources, new thematic areas of technical intervention and strategic partnerships that would promote the expansion of the IOM’s WASH portfolio. Liaise effectively with donors and private sector at local and regional level to advocate for adequate funding to sustain the WASH program and prepare proposals for funding.
- Lead the design process and oversee compliance of technical specifications for the implementation of the required WASH infrastructure and services to guarantee quality of the output and alignment to international and national standards and donor requirements.
- Ensure a sound financial management of projects to guarantee alignment with internal and donor requirements. Ensure that all budget lines of program are respected and monitor burn rates for the effective use of the funds.
- Supervise, manage and monitor technically and administratively the whole of the WASH program team. Ensure that adequate and relevant capacity building is provided to the members of the team. Mentor, coach and manage the staff under supervision; support the performance evaluations and oversee and help to resolve team conflicts.
- In coordination with the Resource Management Unit and Procurement and Logistics Unit, oversee all WASH program related procurement efforts for supplies and services, ensuring that the processes are transparent and in line with IOM and donor’s regulations. Provide the necessary resources to effectively monitor all contractual agreements with service providers and / or implementing parties.
- Actively liaise with the WASH Sector, other WASH agencies, government authorities / entities and any other relevant stakeholder to ensure that IOM WASH activities are coordinated to avoid duplication, violation of national regulations or contravention of operational agreements set by the humanitarian community in Nigeria. Ensure that any needed operational agreement or authorization from the local authorities is convened to guarantee project stability and good relations with the local government.
- Coordinate internally within IOM units / programs the implementation of activities and ensure that inter-sectoral activities / approaches are planned and coordinated with the respective units / programs.
- Ensure that the WASH program is driven by a sound Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning framework that leads to continuous improvement and fine tuning of systems and processes.
- Ensure an effective and active communication with all the stakeholders. Make sure that the relevant and necessary information is transmitted downstream to all the members of the WASH team on a timely manner. Prepare project reports, situation reports, program updates as necessary and/or as requested by the Head of Sub-Office/Emergency Coordinator and ensure that all the project data and information is archived and shared appropriately.
- Ensure cross-cutting issues are integrated in the WASH programming such as Gender-Based Violence (GBV), Accountability to Affected Populations (AAP) and other cross cutting issues related mainstreaming in coordination with the Protection Officer.
- Undertake duty travel as required, for project site review and other duties concerning to the program.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s Degree in Engineering, Public Health, Project Management, or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
- University Degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in environmental (WASH, Water Sanitation (WATSAN));
- Experience with UN, an international organization or NGO;
- Field experience in a complex humanitarian emergency or post-conflict environment;
- Experience in environmental project implementation, including engineering and M&E activities in the region;
- Experience in partnership engagement and management.
- Computer literate (word processors, spreadsheet, database, CAD, and statistical packages, etc.);
- Good knowledge of Nigeria and the African region is an advantage;
- In depth knowledge of the broad range of migration related subject areas dealt with by the Organization;
- Knowledge of UN and bilateral donor programming;
- Effectively interfaces with government officials of appropriate level on matters related to substantive migration issues and the work of IOM;
- Effectively applies knowledge of migration issues within the organizational context; and,
- Correctly frames migration issues within their regional, global, and political context.
- IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
- External applicants for all positions in the Professional category are required to be proficient in English and have at least a working knowledge of one additional UN Language (French, Spanish, Arabic, Russian or Chinese).
- For all applicants, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of French and/or Spanish is an advantage.
- Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – Behavioural Indicators level 2:
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – Behavioural Indicators level 2:
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
Method of Application
- Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations.
- Recommended candidates will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
- The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. Subject to certain exemptions, vaccination against COVID-19 will in principle be required for individuals hired on or after 15 November 2021. This will be verified as part of the medical clearance process.
- Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
- IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment.
- IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Interested and qualified? Go to International Organization for Migration – IOM on recruit.iom.int to apply
Be found by employers. Sign up and complete your profile.