- Job Type: Full Time
- Qualification: BA/BSc/HND
- Experience: 2 – 4 years
- Location: Lagos
- Job Field: NGO/Non-Profit
- We are seeking an experienced, strategic professional with a track record of success in programmatic delivery.
- The Programmes Manager will be responsible for managing, contributing to the growth and effectively implementing the UN Global Compact Network Nigeria’s programming across our four workstreams: Business & Human Rights, Environment & Climate Change, Anti-Bribery & Corruption and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- The Programmes Manager will design and implement new projects and activities, ensuring that all its activities deliver on the United Nations Global Compact Strategic Pillars and Aims.
- The Manager will also contribute to broader programme development planning and policy efforts that enable the UN Global Compact Network Nigeria to continue to be recognised as Nigeria’s leading responsible business initiative.
- The role includes liaising with our Network members (predominantly businesses), civil society, the Nigerian Government, the Global Compact Office and key external stakeholders.
- This position is an opportunity for a dedicated professional with strong understanding of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) who wants to pursue a role in the corporate responsibility and sustainable development fields and work alongside businesses and other stakeholders.
ALSO SEE: Apply For Programme Manager – Partnership for Learning for All in Nigeria (PLANE) at Save The Children
Duties and Responsibilities
- Working alongside the Programmes Team, the Manager will primarily support the implementation of our workstreams as well as our Global Impact Initiatives (GIIs):
- Target Gender Equality
- SDG Pioneers
- Young SDG Innovators Programme
- Climate Action Programme
- Target Gender Equality
- Deliver programming aligned to Network Nigeria and the UN Global Compact’s strategy. This includes working with the Communications and Events teams to deliver events (i.e., roundtables, webinars, training workshops and conferences).
- Supporting the delivery of grants and other funding opportunities that increases the ability of the organisation to deliver strong and strategically aligned programming. This may include supporting the writing of grant submissions, delivery of relevant activities and writing reports (i.e., milestone and acquittal reports) associated with grant funding.
- Providing timely insights on public policy trends (in Nigeria and key global markets) that enable the organisation to engage in policy debates that are strategically aligned with the workstreams and also, strengthen private sector engagement.
- Monitor news, articles and stakeholder activities to identify workstream related risks and opportunities that are likely to inform and/or impact the delivery of the workstreams.
- Working across the Programmes Team, to research and write publications that position the UN Global Compact Network Nigeria’s as a well-regarded commentator and trusted adviser on the broader sustainability agenda.
- Work collectively with the Programmes team and Engagement team to identify points of synergy across respective workstreams and support the development of associated activities to ensure coherence across the Network.
- Support data and information collection activities that inform content for workstream activities and enable GCNN to demonstrate the impact of its activities.
- Liaising with the Communications, Events teams to seek insights and feedback from relevant activities and write event summaries and outcome documents (i.e., blogs or one-page summaries) where appropriate. Assisting with the development of online content (i.e., newsletter, UN Global Compact website, GCNN website and social media) to enhance awareness of our activities.
- Working alongside the Communications, Events teams to support the delivery of activities for our workstreams, including roundtables, seminars, webinars, training workshops and conferences.
- Excellent delivery of Local Network Programmes and the Global Impact Initiatives (GIIs).
- Increased engagement and significant results from engagement with the UN, the private sector, civil society, the Nigerian Government, the Global Compact Office and key external stakeholders.
Educational and Experience Requirements
- A First level university Degree in Business, Commerce, Environmental or Natural Sciences, International Relations / Studies, Law or equivalent.
- 2 – 4 years of experience in a programme delivery role, preferably in the private sector or in policy role.
- Strong interest in driving corporate action on sustainable development.
- Interest in strengthening stakeholder engagement skills, including interacting with management and external stakeholders.
- Strong communication skills that enable him/her to communicate professionally, and with confidence.
- Some experience with project management.
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge in the use of MS Office applications
- An international and innovative outlook and mindset.
- Sustainability Knowledge: Knowledge of the sustainability agenda and its relationship with business.
- Communication: Advanced communication skills, including outstanding written and spoken English language skills. Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately. Exceptional attention to detail, including tailoring language, tone, and content to various audiences. Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Planning and Organising: Exceptional planning and organisational skills, including the ability to multitask and work to tight deadlines. Develops clear goals that are consistent with the GCNN’s strategies and identifies priority activities. Allocates appropriate amounts of time and resources for completing work. Plans in a manner that foresees risks, allows for contingencies, and provides the ability to monitor and adjust plans and actions as necessary.
- Research and Analytical Skills: Exceptional ability to conduct research effectively and assemble this information in a timely manner. Proven critical thinker with strong analytical skills. Ability to explain complex information in a clear, concise, and practical manner. Exceptional attention to detail that demonstrates an ability to evaluate complex information or problems to find a precise and digestible solution.
- Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve the GCNN’s goals. Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others. Promotes and acts in accordance with the group’s decision, even if those decisions do not entirely reflect their own position. Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings. Experienced in managing team members, nurturing and developing their growth and ensuring their positive and successful performance.
- (Advantageous) Monitoring and Evaluation: Experience in data collection and analysis, including reporting evaluating and developing communications performance reports on social media, websites, emails and newsletters.
Proven Delivery Of Results:
- Must be able to manage multiple priorities, communicate status appropriately, and maintain a high level of operational transparency and accountability.
- Delivers to clear goals within strategies. Identifies priority activities and assignments, allocates appropriate time and resources, tracks progress and adjusts priorities as required.
- Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning. Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary.
- Works collaboratively with colleagues in different teams to achieve organizational goals.
- Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others.
- Excellent oral and written communication, interpersonal and collaborative skills.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to prioritize a varied workload.
- Strong problem-solving skills, analytical skills, and attention to detail.
- Integrity: Demonstrates the values of the United Nations in daily activities and behaviors; acts without consideration of personal gain; resists undue political pressure in decision-making; does not abuse power or authority; stands by decisions that are in the Organization’s interest, even if they are unpopular; and takes prompt action in cases of unprofessional or unethical behavior.
- Professionalism: Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; and remains calm in stressful situations.
- Respect for Diversity: Works effectively with people from all backgrounds; treats all people with dignity and respect; treats men and women equally; shows respect for and understanding of diverse points of view and demonstrates this understanding in daily work and decision-making, examines own biases and behaviors to avoid stereotypical responses, and does not discriminate against any individual or group.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Cover Letters, CV and Applications to: firstname.lastname@example.org using “Programmes Manager” as the subject of the mail.
- Given the anticipated volume of submissions, only highly qualified candidates will be contacted.
- No phone calls or unsolicited emails outside of the submission process.
- Candidates must be authorized to work in Nigeria.
Be found by employers. Sign up and complete your profile.