Programme Manager – Partnership for Learning for All in Nigeria (PLANE)
- Job Type: Full Time
- Qualification: BA/BSc/HND , MBA/MSc/MA
- Experience: 7 years
- Location: Kano
- Job Field: NGO/Non-Profit
Job ID: 220000MT
Employee Status: Fixed Term
Post Type: National
Reports to: Deputy Director of Program Operations
Staff directly reporting to this post: 5 – 7
Budget responsibility: Yes
- Level 3 – The responsibilities of the post may require the post holder to have regular contact with children or young people and, in the overseas context, all posts are considered to be level 3 posts given potential situations which may allow staff unsupervised access to vulnerable children and young people.
- The incumbent will strategically lead and manage a Foreign, Commonwealth, and Development Office (FCDO) funded education project to be implemented in 3 states of North-West Nigeria– Kaduna, Kano, and Jigawa.
- He/she will be accountable and responsible for achieving the project’s deliverables.
- The project aims to improve children’s competencies in literacy and numeracy, empowerment through child protection services while leveraging community engagement for children’s school enrolment across three Northwest states.
- The post-holder will also be responsible for effective stakeholder management, including developing and maintaining strong working relationships with the donor, state and federal government, and development partners working in the education sector.
Key Areas of Accountabilities
Programme Implementation and Management:
- Manage and lead project-related strategic liaison with federal and state governments and FCDO to ensure optimal project performance at state and federal levels.
- Monitor progress of project activities against the detailed implementation plan, MEAL plan, and log-frame.
- Conduct periodic review meetings with relevant project and non-project teams.
- Identify and effectively manage all key risks related to the project.
- Ensure regular update of all relevant project management tools, including but not limited to detailed implementation plans, risk register, procurement plan, issue log, stakeholder register, communication and knowledge management plans, MEAL plan, indicator performance tracking tool, and log-frame.
- Ensure project implementation demonstrates high levels of commitment and adherence to the ethos and values of Save the Children.
- Ensure effective and efficient use of all Save the Children resources.
- Ensure compliance with the requirements of Save the Children’s Child Safeguarding Policy to ensure maximum protection for children
- Inspire, lead and motivate the project teams to deliver on project objectives.
- Ensure that all project assets and supplies are maintained and utilized safely, securely, and accountable.
Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning:
- Ensure an effective monitoring system for achieving targets concerning programme activities, budget allocations, and financial expenditures.
- Ensure proper and regular documentation of programme learning, and incorporate analysis and lessons learned into new strategies/activities and advocacy work.
- Ensure that all learning points from the project’s work are disseminated to all relevant stakeholders and audiences. In particular, work closely with relevant TAs across Save the Children to maximize the synergies and learn from the project.
- Lead the development of the project’s detailed budget and ensure timely development of financial reports.
- Manage the project’s budget, acting as the authorized budget-holder; ensure that all activities payments are appropriately approved and are made promptly.
- Ensure robust financial management and compliance with Save the Children financial policy and procedures.
- Ensure practical demonstration of value for money to the project’s donor.
- Regularly analyze the project’s financial performance and develop appropriate mitigations as required.
- Lead the process of producing regular project progress reports to both internal and external stakeholders.
- Represent the project externally with relevant partners and stakeholders.
- Comply with Save the Children policies and practices concerning child protection, code of conduct, health and safety, equal opportunities, and other relevant policies and procedures.
- Line manage Senior TA’s and State team Leads.
- Support the values of SCI.
Additional Job Responsibilities:
- The duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive. The role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
Experience, Qualifications, and Skills
- Master’s Degree Development Studies or relevant Social Sciences.
- Demonstrable experience of developing and managing major donor contracts and grants in excess of $ 10million.
- At least seven (7) years of demonstrated experience in managing, coordinating, and supervising multi-location teams working with governments and development partners.
- Strong representation skills and willingness to speak out for children amongst senior government, donor and diplomatic officials, both at provincial and national level.
- Training, facilitation, briefing and presentation skills
- Demonstrated experience of building and leading a team of senior staff with different backgrounds and expertise.
- Previous working experience in improving the programme delivery with adequate quality
- Demonstrable understanding of Value for Money and FCDO results in agenda.
- Significant project management experience.
- Prior experience on education projects/programmes.
- Excellent budget and financial management skills.
- Excellent communication and writing skills.
- Commitment to SCI’s mission, values, and approach (includes gender equality, child safeguarding, and equal opportunities).
- Project Manager/Lead/CoP experience, preferably of a consortium that includes local and international partners, is paramount for the role.
- Demonstrated ability to assess priorities and handle multiple tasks simultaneously to meet deadlines with attention to detail and quality.
- A degree or professional certification in project management.
- Experience in business development/proposal development.
- Prior experience in managing projects funded by the FCDO.
- Ability to coach and mentor project teams.
- Experience managing sub-grantees or downstream partners.
- Skilled in influencing and obtaining the cooperation of individuals.
Administrative & General Skills:
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Strong analytical skills.
- Excellent computer skills (MS Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint)
Skills and Behaviours (Our Values in Practice):
- Accuracy and timeliness in all areas of responsibility
- High level of accuracy in work and ability to analyze complex sets of relationships and situations
- Holds self and others accountable.
- Creating best-in-class EA function
- Future-orientated thinks pro-actively.
- Working effectively with stakeholders to achieve common goals
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Builds and maintains effective relationships with their team, colleagues, members, and external partners
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- Designing more effective admin systems
- Willing to take disciplined risks.
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency, demonstrates the highest levels of integrity.