Our client is a market leader who specialises in the design, development, and delivery of state-of-the-art Data Centre facilities across the African continent. With significant growth achieved over the past few years and strong pipeline of projects, their busy development team is expanding and is currently looking to appoint a seasoned Data Centre Engineering Lead to be based at their Johannesburg offices. Reporting directly to the Group Development Director and leading a team of generalist, civil, electrical, and mechanical engineers you will take full charge of the overall design on all new build, expansion and major upgrades of Data Centre projects across Africa. Some of the duties entailed in this role will include, but not be limited to:
– Define the key design deliverables for each project.
– Assist the project team with the selection of professional consultants on development projects.
– Accountable for ensuring safety by design principles are being followed during the design and construction process.
– Accountable for the technical tender adjudications for large plant selection and contractor’s appointment.
– Sign off all technical aspects at each project key milestones.
– Final authority for commissioning activities, site acceptance and hand-over to the operations team.
– Responsible for the development and to regularly update the concept design of standard sizes of Data Centre.
– Oversight of capital budgets for data centre infrastructure projects.
– Responsible for realising deferred CAPEX for future upgrades and new build deployments
– Responsible for achieving a reduction in CAPEX and for generating OPEX savings with best practice international design principals
– Accountable for energy saving initiatives to reduce PUE across all facilities.
– Ensures that members of staff adhere to the requisite SHE, Risk and Compliance and Human Resources Policies, Procedures and Systems are in place and are being followed accurately.
To qualify for this position, you will need to have your BSc in Mechanical or Electrical engineering, a minimum of 10 years’ experience with the design and delivery of M&E projects and at least 5 years’ experience in Critical Facility design and delivery. Further to this, you will also need to have in-depth knowledge of Critical Infrastructure, including electrical systems, HVAC/Cooling, security, fire systems and BMS. The ideal candidate for this position will be willing to travel regularly into Africa and will demonstrate strong analytical thinking with the ability to work under pressure in a mission critical environment. If your skill set meets the above criteria and you believe this an opportunity you will thrive in, send us your CV today!