- Job Type: Full Time
- Qualification: BA/BSc/HND
- Experience: 3 years
- Location: Borno
- Job : Field Media / Advertising / Branding
Requisition ID: req27327
Employment Category: Regular
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Maiduguri, Nigeria
Background/IRC Summary :
The International Rescue Committee responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people whose lives and livelihoods are shattered by conflict and disaster to survive, recover and gain control of their future. In some 40 countries and 26 US cities, our dedicated teams provide clean water, shelter, health care, education and protection to refugees and displaced people. IRC is committed to bold leadership, innovation, creative partnerships and assists people from harm to home.
IRC began working in Nigeria in October 2012 in response to a widespread flooding. Since then, IRC has expanded its program scope and size with the aim of making the greatest possible contribution to meeting humanitarian needs across North East Nigeria. IRC’s response includes integrated health, reproductive health, nutrition, protection including women’s protection and empowerment services, child protection, environmental health, economic recovery and development, and education support. The country program has recently developed a new Strategic Action Plan, which will guide growth in priority thematic and geographic areas.
Based in Maiduguri, the Communications Manager will support internal and external communications and visibility initiatives for the IRC in Nigeria. The Communications Manager will be responsible for designing and delivering a range of communications products, including country office fact sheets, briefing materials, program success stories, photos, videos, interviews with beneficiaries, blog posts for the IRC’s website, social medial posts and staff profiles. The post holder will be expected to develop and maintain a communications strategy for the country office, train staff on communications approaches, and be accountable for meeting IRC Nigeria’s contractual donor visibility requirements. The position is supervised by the Senior Grants Coordinator and will work closely with other grants and partnerships staff, area managers and program staff.
- Develop, update, and implement an internal and external communications strategy for IRC Nigeria
- Liaise with the global communications/advocacy teams to periodically review the IRC Nigeria communications strategy and raise awareness of humanitarian needs in Nigeria.
- Lead in designing and developing information and visibility materials, such as fact sheets, briefing papers, brochures, posters, and social media content.
- Facilitate and promote dynamic communications methods, such as novel media outreach, original digital content, and dynamic, audience-driven social media output, with internal stakeholders such as field teams, advocates, fundraisers, and technical specialists.
- Develop and track implementation of donor visibility and branding plan
- Proactively seek out interesting stories from programs, initiating or accompanying field visits to collect high-quality photos, quotes and audio and video material suitable for use in media and communication products.
- Help IRC country program staff to proactively prepare for communications needs contributing to overall better information flow and coordination of all programming
- Train, coach and support IRC program staff and partners on external communications, including how to recognize and disseminate relevant information, data, and human-interest stories from their work in order to convey project successes and positive influences on clients’ lives.
- Maintain a database of essential connections and establish a solid working relationship with relevant media practitioners in Nigeria and field locations.
- Potentially represent IRC to external and internal audiences, both through media interviews and digital content contributions. As needed, provide media training to field spokespersons.
- Develop and maintain communication resource materials and products library in box.
- Maintain and analyze data on the scale and reach of communication products.
Key Working Relationships:
Position reports to: Senior Grants Coordinator.
Position directly supervises: Communications Officers (2)
Indirect Reporting: N/A
Other Internal and/or external contacts: Grants, M&E, Programs teams, Senior Area Managers/ Field Coordinators, Global Communications/Advocacy, AMU, and others as appropriate.
External contacts: Partners, media contacts, donors, and others as appropriate.
Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field (communications, journalism, humanitarian affairs, etc.)
Minimum: Three years’ experience in communications, preferably with a focus on international affairs or issues that cross with the humanitarian sector.
Demonstrated Skills and Competencies:
- Experience in communications, journalism or documentation, ideally for an international humanitarian organization;
- Demonstrated experience producing public relations and/or visibility materials in different media;
- Experience with websites and blogs;
- Experience with photography, videography, and script-writing;
- Experience in conducting trainings and workshops is desirable;
- Experience in developing and delivering comprehensive communications plans.
- Strong written communication and editing skills (including creative writing) with the ability to make complex information and data accessible to non-experts;
- Computer literacy: Proficiency in MS Word, MS PowerPoint and MS Publishing or other publishing software required with experience in graphic design/layout for publications required;
- Ability to operate in a high-pressure workplace successfully, efficiently, professionally, and calmly on matters that are often difficult and politically sensitive.
- Experience with GIS/map making
- Ability to operate in a fast-paced environment and prioritize tasks;
- Understanding of the humanitarian context in Nigeria;
Language Skills :
- Fluency in spoken and written English required
- Fluency in spoken and written Hausa desirable
Certificates or Licenses: Media, Journalism, Filming, Photography will be added advantage
Working Environment :
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
IRC and IRC employees must adhere to the values and principles contained in the IRC WAY (Standards of Professional Conduct). These are Integrity, Service, and Responsibility. Consistent with these values, IRC operates and enforces policies on beneficiary protection from exploitation and abuse, child protection, workplace harassment, financial integrity, and retaliation.
Method of Application
Be found by employers. Sign up and complete your profile.