EUMETSAT is Europe’s meteorological satellite agency – monitoring the weather and climate from space – 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
This role is rooted in the mission of EUMETSAT and will provide the opportunity to work with leading IT, Space and Earth Observation organisations and domain experts to make a positive impact on society!
The Competence Area Manager of Additional Data Services and Projects (CAM ADS&P) will manage a team of talented engineers, leading projects and activities aimed at implementing cutting edge technology data services that will improve climate and numerical weather predictions (as well as nowcasting) using instrument data from partner Earth observation satellite operators from Europe, the United States, China, India, Japan, South Korea, etc.
Carrying both management and budgetary responsibility, the CAM ADS&P will provide the incumbent with the opportunity to deliver innovative approaches to satisfying evolving user requirements; identifying synergies aimed at simplifying operations and reducing Total Cost of Ownership (TCO).
This role supports also the European Union’s earth observation programme “Copernicus”, looking at our planet and its environment to benefit all European citizens.
- Manage a multidisciplinary team covering all required competences. Secure the continued availability of these core skills (managing their evolution) to the whole organisation whilst maintaining technological awareness;
- Manage and coordinate ‘design and development’ projects for new and evolving services (trial, pilot and operational roll out) in a coordinated manner, incorporating all technical, financial, planning and management activities;
- Technically coordinate with internal/external parties the use of third party processing packages and their sustainment for the operational users of EUMETSAT services;
- Manage industrial and/or service contracts as well as agreements used as part of the systems and the infrastructure sustaining the services (existing or future);
- Define and implement a long term roadmap for the additional data services, covering engineering and maintenance approach, with the goal of securing a cost-efficient maintenance and evolution of the systems sustaining the portfolio of services;
- Provide coordinated engineering support to future ground segments and programmes, including Building Block III of Copernicus, (in area of responsibility);
- Maintain, in close coordination with other teams and partners, the EUMETSAT internet/intranet web pages and any other public documentation related to implementation of projects for Additional Data Services;
- Support the definition and implementation of standardised/harmonised processes, methods and tools in the area of responsibility;
- Support the Head of SEP in the preparation of budgets and human resource planning.
What we offer
- Excellent salary, of up to Euro 8,500/month NET (after tax and deductions) based on skills and experience;
- Flexible working time including additional flexi-leave;
- Full medical coverage for employee and family;
- Attractive final salary pension;
- 30 days of annual leave + 14.5 days public holidays;
- Training and development support;
- Relocation allowance and support (if applicable).
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Expert in project management and system engineering development, design, integration and test of ground segment elements implementing data services (from relevant space borne instruments), including operational experience in providing these services to users;
- Proven and solid experience in leading and developing teams, in charge of managing projects, operating within a matrix environment with multiple internal and external interfaces, strong interpersonal and communications skills, and strengths in analysis, synthesis and presentation of complex problems and solutions;
- Proficiency and experience in the definition and use of standards and best practices relevant for the area of responsibility including the use of broadly accepted methodologies for system engineering (like INCOSE) and project management (like Prince II, PMI, …) and of related processes/tools;
- Experience in contract management (both studies, systems development and services) in the area of remote ground stations, data repatriation and/or data processing systems (or their main components/subsystems) will be considered an advantage.
- University degree (or equivalent) in a relevant discipline, certificates in project management or MBA will be considered an advantage.
- EUMETSAT is an international organisation with a working language of English. German language is not required to work with EUMETSAT.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED IN ENGLISH. WE WILL BE UNABLE TO CONSIDER APPLICATIONS SUBMITTED IN OTHER LANGUAGES.
EUMETSAT is an international organisation employing staff from across all 30 member states and this role is being advertised on multiple international job boards, but please note that this role would be based in Darmstadt, Germany and would require international applicants to relocate and work from the headquarters from Day1 if successful.
More about EUMETSAT
As an intergovernmental European Organisation, EUMETSAT can recruit nationals only from the 30 Member States (Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, The Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey and the United Kingdom).